Monday, March 4, 2013

Repentance is...

Recently, I've just begun a devotional material titled, "The Journey to the Cross". The material was crafted by a church for the purpose of preparing the heart's of the people of God for Good Friday.

I am only into Day 6 of the material and so far, I've come to learn so much about what repentance really is and how it is such an essential part of the Christian life.

When I was young, I used to think that repentance was all about feeling guilty, ashamed of the mess that I have made and feeling all dog gone sorry for myself. I believed that the worse I felt, the better I would become, somehow, well, one way or another. But the problem was, I never finally knew what to do. All the moping and the moaning was just so tiring that after awhile, I learnt to either ignore what I've done or worse still, grow accustomed to it as if it was no big deal.

The problem was that I had a totally wrong idea of what repentance is.

Repentance isn't so much about feeling sorry for yourself,
OR
Beating yourself up over it,
OR
Taking on a mystical drive for self-improvement.

Repentance is, about turning away from that which distracts and entangles and returning to Jesus, with a heart that is wholly devoted to Him and His way.

No comments:

Post a Comment